Everybody Wong Foo Tonight
The blog’s faithful readers know that from time to time I’ve shared my submissions
to an online Top Ten contest held regularly at CBS’s Late Show with David Letterman website.
A few months ago, I put up a post with my riffs on a Twitter hashtag begun by Tony Isabella, writer both of comics and about them, champion of the oppressed, scourge of the unjust. I knew that I’d likely join the Twitterati sooner rather than later, and it dawned on me that I could use my contributions to such games as Top X posts here on the blog. What I didn’t know was that The Late Show’s Top Ten contest, along with its weekly E-mail newsletter, would shortly be coming to an abrupt end.
My follow-through after participation in enjoyable hashtags like #badnoir has been poor [although one of my titles for that got turned into a what-if mashup in 2014] but I can’t not import the results of a prompt I started myself after a pithy Twit from Julius Sharpe, as reTwitted by Hannah Kincade, which read “I think every movie should be personally addressed to Wong Foo”.
Sharpe was referring to the 1995 film To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar. His line stuck with me. I first replied, “At least from the Batman cast,” Julie Newmar being known as the first Catwoman in the camp 1966-68 TV sensation. Then I offered up some variations on the movie’s title involving said cast. Since I couldn’t shake the meme I took Sharpe’s advice and branched out to other movies.
Here then after far too long a preamble are...
My Top Eight Other Movies Personally Addressed to Wong Foo
8. To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Chum! Adam West
7. To Wong Foo, Holy Gratitude! Burt Ward
6. To Wong Foo, I Can Kick Higher Than Julie Newmar! Yvonne Craig
5. Ad Wong Foo, Gratias Enim Omnia! Julius Caesar
4. To Wong Foo, Mmm, Everything I Thank You For! Yoda
3. To Wong Foo, ThankYou, ThankYouVeryMuch! Elvis
2. Roo Rong Roo, Ranks ror Rehreering! Rooby-Rooby-Roo!
And My Number One Other Movie Personally Addressed to Wong Foo...
1. To. Wong... FooThanks... For. Everything! ... ... KirkOut.
Related: Huston, We Have Amalgam • Feed Me Rewrite!
• Some Days You Just Can’t Get Rid of a Photobomb